Even though the risks associated with the poinsettia is so low, it is not wise to have this plant within reach of curious pets or little children – not due to toxicity, but do to the safety of the plant. Little hands and pets have a tendency to “play” with these beauties, which can leave them looking rather torn.
As most know, Poinsettias are known to be one of the main favorite Christmas flower but did you know it has a couple hidden secrets that if you were not a flower person you might not know… even some flower people don’t always know the hidden secrets this gorgeous flower holds.
Here’s is one of the hidden secrets about Poinsettias:
The stalks of the Poinsettias have a milky fluid in them that contains latex. This is typically not harmful however, it is quite bitter tasting so although not poisonous to your pets, they will not enjoy the taste and very possibly get an upset tummy! If you are allergic to latex, you should not handle the plant without gloves.
Another hidden secret that is actually a myth is that the poinsettia is poisonous. The truth is the poinsettia is actually quite harmless to both children and pets. The poinsettia has been tested extensively for toxicity, but all tests come up negative or very low. According to studies done by POISENDEX, the source of poison information for the majority of poison control centers, it a 50 pound child would have to ingest more than 1¼ lbs of poinsettia leaves (about 500 to 600 leaves) to get sick. Now that is a lot of eating and a whole bunch of lack of supervision! The ASPCA’s website list the poinsettia as slightly toxic to dogs and cats, saying it can cause irritation in the stomach and mouth, but does ALSO point out it is generally over-rated in toxicity. However, The American Veterinary Medicine Association of America (AVMA), does not include poinsettias on it’s list of plants that are a threat to animals.
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.